Friday, February 17, 2006


From Vernacular to Versed
or
I Should Find Something
Better to do With My Time

Deadlines met, but more are pressing down on me. Such is life. So what does any good college student do when there is work due? Anything but the work. Hence my entry here. I am actually "multi-tasking," but doubt I'll be able to get anything relevant done. I won't bore anyone excessively with what I'm studying, or what classes I'm taking, and since that's all that's on my mind at the moment, I'll wait for something interesting to say...
...
...
Still there?
...
...
I was contemplating cutting my hair short this weekend and dyeing it blonde. It was suggested that I not by a few of the housemates, since apparently most girls like dark hair, not fake hair. Not sure I care at this point.

I could say it's great how open my weekends are, and how I am free to do whatever I want. But in a way it draws my attention to the fact that I'm a solitary person. It's not that I usually refuse to hang out with people, it's just that people usually neglect to invite me. It might have something to do with my lack of certain social graces...
Another factor could be the age gap... It's not quite a decade, but it may as well be. I've stopped sharing that information so openly this semester. No one can ever guess my real age anyway, and I don't look it or act it. I don't want to be treated differently because of it, as much as I'm a wallflower all the social butterflies ignore, it doesn't mean I enjoy being outside of the social structure... Then again, I do realize how strange it is for some students, so I never force myself into situations and try to be conscious of other people's comfort levels.

Due to my lack of desire to do anything productive (as previously mentioned), I think I'll describe someone at random... However, it would be too easy to describe them with all the adjectives at my disposal, so I'll choose a letter...'S'.

secretive, subtle, sophisticated, suggestive, sapphire(?), shadowed, superlative, sui generis, spirited, stimulating, sparkling, satirical...

If I list too much more I run the risk of sounding simultaneously pedantic, peculiar, and of course puerile...(The letter I chose for myself was 'P', can you tell?) That and I would not want to actually describe someone, that would be psycho...

See, if I thought people were actually reading this, I might curb my rambling to prevent the excessive guilt I would feel for wasting someone else's time, but as far as I know, I'm relatively free to write what I want right now.

I just ran the spellchecker, and it doesn't know wallflower...

Wallflower:
Any of numerous herbs of the genus Erysimum of the mustard family, having fragrant yellow, orange, or brownish flowers. (yawn)
Any of several perennial herbs of the genus Cheiranthus, especially C. cheiri. (OOooooh, Cheiranthus)
One who does not participate in the activity at a social event because of shyness or unpopularity.
A security, company, or industry that is out of favor with investors.

Now...Look at the underlined portion... I always thought I was a wallflower, but I'm not really shy, now I see the other application, better suited to my 'personality'... Can you consider unpopularity a personality trait? I guess it's derived from traits. For instance, asking questions too personal of people you don't know (I'm guilty of this sometimes). Being blatantly honest... These are traits that may lead to unpopularity... D'you think people would look at me funny if, when asked to describe myself, I start with "Well, I'm unpopular..." I think that would be a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Now I'll go off on another tangent, blatant honesty. I know there must be a single word that can succinctly represent this trait...
I was thinking rectitude, but with respect to the morality component I tend to leave a little on the 'to be desired' side. I don't go out of my way to be less moral, but society tends to define morals on its own terms. One example of this is in the socially acceptable way to carry about a relationship. I lack the desire to do that, therefore I think I lack some morals associated with that topic. As for correct in judgment, I think it's generally good judgment to be honest. Even if it is sometimes acceptable to lie, I choose not to. As for the third definition, rather vague, so I'll avoid overemphasizing and just say...'yep'...
Next up veracious...

Veracious
Honest; truthful.
Accurate; precise.

Yes, I'm veracious... But I'm afraid people will confuse it with voracious, which I have not been as much lately... I'm also not vivacious, although I can be hyper, it's one of my rare states of being, and I'm not sure where my spirit stands in it's fullness. As for volacious, I wish! So, I guess I can use veracious to describe myself from this point forward, and hope people don't think I'm a hyperactive ravenous pterodactyl(I really hope that attempt at vocabulary wit is not unintelligible)......(It could have been worse, I could have said Quetzalcoatlus)..
...That's enough aimless ramblings for today, and maybe tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home