Friday, March 10, 2006


It's Not My Birthday, Not Today
or
Un-Merry Un-Birthday

Should I dig through silky waxy memories and see what I can find? Would I be indulging us both, or simply wasting my own time? Hmmm, I could be waiting a while if I wait for a response, so I'll take a chance on this being interesting:

In my youth my mom baked. She was very good at it, and it was something that was mutually beneficial to all involved parties. I remember birthdays fondly primarily due to the cakes she would make. That would be my main 'gift'. I never really invited many friends over for birthdays, I can't even remember the most people I've ever had at a party...maybe three or four? Sorry, back to cakes. I remember a few of them. A three-dimensional Carebear, don't remember precisely which bear, just remember that the cake was bigger than my head. Another year she did a bust of Darth-Vader. (Bet you never thought you'd see 'bust' and Darth-Vader in the same sentence.) The funny thing is, I don't recall ever really liking cake. But I liked the thought and effort she put into her art form. Just to please the child she had excised from her body...(Ok, I know that's a harsh way of phrasing it, but it's tongue-in-cheek)

Even though I do recall receiving Legos, a Desk, clothes, etc, I remember the cakes most clearly...

So yes, I'm now officially even older than all of my fellow students. I received three phone calls, and a bible. I'm actually rather bitter about the bible, for one thing it's christian and was given to me by a jewish acquaintance of mine, so I can't help but feel like he was just trying to get rid of it and thought throwing it away was inappropriate... The other reasons are not really important or worth explaining...

I will try to post again sometime today. I am not sure when/if I'll post over spring break. (consults Magic-Eight-Ball)....
________________
(-Outlook not so good-)

So, I hope it's not obvious that I was trying to keep this upbeat, however I'd like to share some Ani DiFranco lyrics that have applied to more than one situation in my life...

'cause I like you
but I know you don't know it

I like you soo much,
I talk to everyone but you
and I wonder
what you would think of this little number
I wonder
what you would say if you knew
If you don't ask the right questions
every answer seems wrong
--Ani DiFranco, "Hell Yeah"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home