Friday, April 21, 2006


Can You Say...Quandry?

I hope not, since quandry isn't a word. But if you can say quandary, then that's a bit more appropriate. Anyway, so I signed up for LeaderShape, was refused. I sat on the wait list for a bit, then went to pick up my deposit. Was told to wait a bit longer, and then found out I was accepted off the wait list. Probably because of my tenacity and connections. I later decided to apply for a summer conference assistant job, because it covers housing, is on campus, and allows 20 hours a week. That would mean I get to take chemistry over the summer, freeing up valuable course time for classes more important to my major. However, it overlaps with LeaderShape. I did not think it would be a big deal, considering it's only a three day overlap, and the summer job is the full three months. However... the summer job does the training during that time, so apparently it is important, at least to them. But that's ok, since I wasn't going to get the job.
[Pessimism at its best!]
Here's why:
Rushed day, wanted to eat, like the garlic chicken.
Garlic chicken becomes lunch.
Rushed for time, so have to rush from place to place.
Garlic chicken was somewhat spicy.
I realize that perhaps garlic chicken isn't the best thing to eat before an interview.
Too late.
I pop some gum.
Not sure the gum helps.
Still rushing, I head to the interview.
So...Interview time.
They sit at an akward angle, I have to crane my neck to see either of them.
I probably smell like garlic.
I'm sweating rather profusely.
And I never took out my gum.
Add it up,
gum+garlic+sweat=bad interview?
I call my friend who lives in St. Louis, letting him know.
I've still got a place to say, even if it is off campus.
[So it all works out?]
But that's ok, at least the LeaderShape thing will go smoothly, and so many cool people are gonna be there, some of my favorites! (Errand Girl, Veggie Girl, Flamingo, Grins, Slim, Lee... and a bunch of random enthusiastic bubbly freshmen.) So, things will work out, the situation was decided for me. However...
[Ready?]
Hello Greg,
It is my pleasure to offer you a position working for Summer Conferences. If you choose to accept this position, please respond back by Monday, April 24. Remember, you must be able to start work Sunday, May 14th. If you have any questions, please don't hesistate to ask.
Thank you,
Chris

[Can you believe this???]
So, they must like gum garlic and ... sweat? Now, I have to choose one or the other. If I choose the summer conference, I miss out on LeaderShape and lose my 100$ deposit. If I choose LeaderShape, I miss out on this job, yet will have housing and be pretty busy over the summer, helping me forget some of the harsh reality I've recently been enduring. [Yeah, life is soooo rough when you're not starving, have a roof over your head, and friends you can tell anything to.]
[Like you!]
Hmm, so, I'm going to have to figure this out, feel free to offer insight, if you're reading this, either you got here randomly, or you are someone who's opinion I value. Either way, let me know what you think.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll miss you if you don't go to Leadershape, but I know you really wanted this job. Sorry I don't have any useful advice :-(

2:59 PM, April 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know you could just scrap all of this and run around the city pretending to be a squirrel for the entire summer.

1:18 AM, April 22, 2006  
Blogger Instantiable said...

You're just saying that because you secretly eat squirrels too.

12:22 PM, April 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though this has already been resolved, I always think long term. Whatever will help you out the most in the long run is always the way to go. Sometimes more painful... but worth it.

5:47 PM, May 07, 2006  
Blogger Instantiable said...

It's ok, Errand Girl lost interest in me anyway... Work will do me good. As will chemistry.

9:58 PM, May 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home