Friday, April 14, 2006


Story from the South

I've been remiss in posting about my spring break...
[Just in case you expect this.]
Once again she is under the overpass. Cart overburdened, exposed to the elements, aimless yet unwavering... I request that the driver stop, and she obliges. I run over to the homeless woman to share my 'bounty' received upon departure, two bags of Ruffles. I jog up to where she is standing, overloaded cart and all. Although I smell urine, I make no judgments. Besides, I don't smell winter-fresh myself. I offer her aforementioned chips... No response. I gently place them on her brimming cart, as if they were straw to a camel.
"Don't put nothin' on my bag!!"
I remove the chips hastily and pause, waiting to be informed as to the best location of the burdensome chips. Once more, no response. I place them at my feet and prepare to leave...
"Don't put nothin' here I don't want!!!" she snaps.
Once again, I oblige. I depart as promptly as I arrived, chips in tow...
[Hmm, short and to the point.]
It wasn't charity, it was excess. I wasn't plying for any favor, I was giving something of little need to me to someone else. I had no intention of chipping away at someone's already depreciated pride...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVED this story! Please don't make this one green.

1:30 AM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Instantiable said...

Green is reserved for self-involved posts of the boring sort, they usually involve idle senseless chatter. This post is in no threat of being greened'ed... =)

8:54 AM, April 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home